- How we use your data
The Petitions site lets you start and sign petitions to raise issues with the United States
The Petitions service is provided by the Company, Petition Watch LLC. We need to collect, process and store some personal data to enable you to do this.
A data controller determines how and why personal data is processed.
- What data we collect from you
The personal data we collect from people who start and sign petitions will include:
- your name
- your email address
- your postcode
- the country you live in
- whether you are a U.S resident
- the IP address you use when starting or signing a petition
The legal basis for processing this data is public task – allowing you to raise issues with the United States Government.
We use this information to:
- make sure that people only sign a petition once
- check that you’re eligible to sign a petition
- contact you about petitions you start
- if you consent, email you updates about what happens in petitions you’ve signed
- What we do with your data
If you start a petition and we accept it, your name will be published with the petition. We won’t publish any other personal information about you.
If you’ve signed a petition, we won’t publish any personal information about you.
We will not:
- sell or rent your data to third parties
- share your data with third parties for marketing purposes
We will share your data if we’re required to do so by law – for example, by court order, or to prevent fraud or other crime.
- What we’ll email you about
If a petition you’ve started or signed gets a response from the Government, we’ll email the response to you.
If you’ve started or signed a petition, we might contact you to let you know about relevant things that are happening in Parliament and Government. That might include: debates that you can watch or read, chances to respond to a consultation, or ways to let legislators know why the petition is important to you.
You can stop these emails by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in the email.
- How long we keep your data
We will retain your personal data from the date you start or sign a petition, until 6 months after that petition closes – a maximum of 12 months in total.
- Where your data is processed and stored
We design, build and run our systems to make sure that your data is as safe as possible at any stage, both while it’s processed and when it’s stored.
- How we protect your data and keep it secure
We are committed to doing all that we can to keep your data secure. We set up systems and processes to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure of the data we collect about you – for example, we protect your data using varying levels of encryption. All third parties who process personal data for us are required to keep that data secure.
You have the right to request:
- information about how your personal data is processed
- a copy of that personal data – this copy will be provided in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format
- that anything inaccurate in your personal data is corrected immediately
You can also:
- raise an objection about how your personal data is processed
- request that your personal data is erased if there is no longer a justification for it
- ask that the processing of your personal data is restricted in certain circumstances
If you have any of these requests, please get in touch with us – you can find contact details below.
- Children Information
Petition Watch does not knowingly collect any Personal Identifiable Information from children under the age of 13. If you think that your child provided this kind of information on our website, we strongly encourage you to contact us immediately and we will do our best efforts to promptly remove such information from our records.
- Changes to this notice
We may change this privacy notice. In that case the ‘last updated’ date at the top of this page will also change. Any changes to this privacy notice will apply to you and your data immediately. If these changes affect how your personal data is processed, we will take reasonable steps to make sure you know
This website puts small files (known as ‘cookies’) onto your computer to collect information about how you browse the site.
Cookies are used to: measure how you use the petitions service so it can be updated and improved based on your needs remember the notifications you’ve seen so that we don’t show them to you again help prevent people from fraudulently signing petitions
These cookies aren’t used to identify you personally and are strictly necessary to ensure the secure running of this website.
Google Analytics cookies
We use Google Analytics to collect information about how you use the service. This information helps us to improve the service and prevent fraudulent signing.
We store a session cookie on your computer to help keep your information secure while you use the service.
At Legal writing experts, we would be happy to assist in preparing any legal document you need. We are international lawyers and attorneys with significant experience in legal drafting, Commercial-Corporate practice and consulting. In the last few years, we have successfully undertaken similar assignments for clients from different jurisdictions. If given this opportunity, The LegalPen will be able to prepare the legal document within the shortest time possible. You can send us your quick enquiry ( here )