This Operating Agreement (the “Agreement”) made and entered into this _____ day of _______________, ______ (the “Execution Date”) BETWEEN:
Member A of Insert Member A’s Address, and
Member B of Insert Member B’s Address
(individually the “Member” and collectively the “Members”).
A. The Members wish to associate themselves as members of a limited liability company.
B. The terms and conditions of this Agreement will govern the Members within the limited
IN CONSIDERATION OF and as a condition of the Members entering into this Agreement and other valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is acknowledged, the Members agree as follows:
- By this Agreement, the Members form a Limited Liability Company (the “Company”) in accordance with the laws of the State of Washington. The rights and obligations of the Members will be as stated in the Washington Limited Liability Company Act (the “Act”) except as otherwise provided in this agreement.
- The name of the Company will be Insert Company’s Name, LLC.
- The purpose of this company is to provide data analysis, data visualization work, and other IT services.
- The Company will continue until terminated as provided in this Agreement or may dissolve under conditions provided in the Act.
Place of Business
- The Principal Office of the Company will be located at Insert Company’s Head Office Address or such other place as the Members may from time to time designate.
Capital Contributions and Ownership
- The following is a list of all Members and their Initial Contributions to the Company. Each of the Members agree to make their Initial Contributions to the Company in full, according to the following terms:
Member A – $_____
Member B – $_____
- Member A shall own 51% of the Company and Member B shall own 49% of the Company.
Allocation of Profits/Losses
- Subject to the other provisions of this Agreement, the Net Profits or Losses, for accounting purposes, will accrue to and be borne by the Members in ratio of ownership of the Company.
- All Distributions shall be made in ratio of ownership of the Company.
- No Member will have priority over any other Member for the distribution of Net Profits or Losses.
Nature of Interest
- A Member’s Interest in the Company will be considered personal property.
Withdrawal of Contribution
- No Member will withdraw any portion of their Capital Contribution without the unanimous consent of the other Members.
Liability for Contribution
- A Member’s obligation to make their required Capital Contribution can only be compromised or released with the consent of the remaining Member or as otherwise provided in this Agreement. If a Member does not make the Capital Contribution when it is due, they are obligated at the option of any remaining Member to contribute cash equal to the agreed value of the Capital Contribution. This option is in addition to and not in lieu of any others rights, including the right to specific performance that the Company may have against the Member.
- Capital Contributions may be amended from time to time, according to the business needs of the Company. However, if additional capital is determined to be required and an individual Member is unwilling or unable to meet the additional contribution requirement within a reasonable period, the remaining Member may contribute in proportion to their existing Capital Contributions to resolve the amount in default. In such case, the allocation of Net Profits or Losses and the distribution of assets on dissociation or dissolution will be adjusted accordingly.
- Any advance of money to the Company by any Member in excess of the amounts provided for in this Agreement or subsequently agreed to, will be deemed a debt due from the Company rather than an increase in the Capital Contribution of the Member. This liability will be repaid with interest at such rates and times to be determined by a majority of the Members. This liability will not entitle the lending Member to any increased share of the Company’s profits nor to a greater voting power. Repayment of such debts will have priority over any other payments to Members.
- An individual capital account (the “Capital Account”) will be maintained for each Member and their Initial Contributions will be credited to this account. Any Additional Contributions made by any Member will be credited to that Member’s individual Capital Account.
Interest on Capital
- No borrowing charge or loan interest will be due or payable to any Member on their agreed Capital Contribution inclusive of any agreed Additional Contributions.
- Management of this Company is vested in the Members.
Authority to Bind Company
- Any Member has the authority to bind the Company in contract.
Duty of Loyalty
- While a person is a Member of the Company, and for a period of at least one year after that person ceases to be a Member, that person will not carry on, or participate in a similar business to the business of the Company within any market regions that were established or contemplated by the Company before or during that person’s tenure as Member.
Duty to Devote Time
- Each Member will devote such time and attention to the business of the Company as the majority of the Members will from time to time reasonably determine for the conduct of the Company’s business.
- A meeting may be called by any Member providing that reasonable notice has been given to the other Members.
- Regular meetings of the Members will be held only as required.
- Each Member will be entitled to cast votes on any matter based upon the proportion of that Member’s ownership in the Company.
Voluntary Withdrawal of a Member
- Any Member will have the right to voluntarily withdraw from the Company. Written notice of intention to withdraw must be served upon the remaining Member at least one month prior to withdrawal.
- The voluntary withdrawal of a Member will have no effect upon the continuance of the Company.
- It remains incumbent on the withdrawing Member to exercise this dissociation in good faith and to minimize any present or future harm done to the remaining Member as a result of the withdrawal.
Involuntary Withdrawal of a Member
- Events leading to the involuntary withdrawal of a Member from the Company will include but not be limited to: death of a Member; Member mental incapacity: Member disability preventing reasonable participation in the Company; Member incompetence; breach of fiduciary duties by a Member; criminal conviction of a Member; Operation of Law against a Member or a legal judgment against a Member that can reasonably be expected to bring the business or societal reputation of the Company into disrepute. Expulsion of a Member can also occur on application by the Company or another Member, where it has been judicially determined that the Member: has engaged in wrongful conduct that adversely and materially affected the Company’s business; or has disrepute. Expulsion or a member can also occur on application by the company or another member, where it has been judicially determined that the Member: has engaged in wrongful conduct that adversely and materially affected the Company’s business; has willfully or persistently committed a material breach of this Agreement or of a duty owed to the Company or to the other Members; or has engaged in conduct relating to the Company’s business that makes it not reasonably practicable to carry on the business with the Member.
- The involuntary withdrawal of a Member will have no effect upon the continuance of the
- After the withdrawal of a Member, the remaining Member has discretion to sell the Company.
Dissociation of a Member
- In the event of either a voluntary or involuntary withdrawal of a Member, the remaining Member may elect to purchase the interest of the withdrawing Member. The purchase amount of any buyout of a Member’s Interests will be determined as set out in the Valuation of Interest section of this Agreement.
- Valuation and distribution will be determined as described in the Valuation of Interest section of this Agreement.
- The remaining Members retain the right to seek damages from a dissociated Member where the dissociation resulted from a malicious or criminal act by the dissociated Member or where the dissociated Member had breached their fiduciary duty to the Company or was in breach of this Agreement or had acted in a way that could reasonably be foreseen to bring harm or damage to the Company or to the reputation of the Company
- A dissociated Member will only have liability for Company obligations that were incurred during their time as a Member. On dissociation of a Member, the Company will prepare, file, serve, and publish all notices required by law to protect the dissociated Member from liability for future Company obligations.
- Where the remaining Members have purchased the interest of a dissociated Member, the purchase amount will be paid in full, but without interest, within 90 days of the date of withdrawal. The Company will retain exclusive rights to use of the trade name and firm name and all related brand and model names of the Company.
Right of First Purchase
- In the event that a Member’s Interest in the Company is or will be sold, due to any reason, the remaining Member will have a right of first purchase of that Member’s Interest. The value of that interest in the Company will be the lower of the value set out in the Valuation of Interest section of this Agreement and any third party offer that the Member wishes to accept.
Assignment of Interest
- In the event that a Member’s interest in the company is transferred or assigned as the result of a court order or Operation of Law, the trustee in bankruptcy or other person acquiring that Member’s Interests in the Company will only acquire that Member’s economic rights and interests and will not acquire any other rights of that Member or be admitted as a Member of the Company or have the right to exercise any management or voting interests.
Valuation of Interest
- In the event of a dissociation or the dissolution of the Company, each Member will have financial interest in the Company in the ratio of ownership of the Company.
- In the absence of a written agreement setting a value, the value of the Company will be based on the fair market value appraisal of all Company assets (less liabilities) determined in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). This in the absence of a written agreement setting a value, the value of the company will be based on the fair market value appraisal OI all Company assets (less liabilities) determined in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). This appraisal will be conducted by an independent accounting firm agreed to by all Members. An appraiser will be appointed within a reasonable period of the date of withdrawal or dissolution. The results of the appraisal will be binding on all Members. The intent of this section is to ensure the survival of the Company despite the withdrawal of any individual Member.
- No allowance will be made for goodwill, trade name, patents or other intangible assets, except where those assets have been reflected on the Company books immediately prior to valuation.
- The Company may be dissolved by a unanimous vote of the Members. The Company will also be dissolved on the occurrence of events specified in the Act.
- Upon Dissolution of the Company and liquidation of Company property, and after payment of all selling costs and expenses, the liquidator will distribute the Company assets to the following groups according to the following order of priority:
a) in satisfaction of liabilities to creditors except Company obligations to current Members;
b) in satisfaction of Company debt obligations to current Members, and then
c) to the Members based on Member financial interest, as set out in the Valuation of Interest section of this Agreement.
- The Company will at all times maintain accurate records of the following:
- Information regarding the status of the business and the financial condition of the Company.
- A copy of the Company federal, state, and local income taxes for each year, promptly after becoming available
- Name and last known business, residential, or mailing address of each Member, as well as the date that person became a Member
- A copy of this Agreement and any articles or certificate of formation, as well as all amendments, together with any executed copies of any written powers of attorney pursuant to which this Agreement, articles or certificate, and any amendments have been executed.
- The cash, property, and services contributed to the Company by each Member, along with a description and value, and any contributions that have been agreed to be made in the future.
- Each Member has the right to demand, within a reasonable period of time, a copy of any of the above documents for any purpose reasonably related to their interest as a Member of the Company, at their expense.
Books of Account
- Accurate and complete books of account of the transactions of the Company will be kept in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and at all reasonable times will be available and open to inspection and examination by any Member. The books and records of the Company will reflect all the Company’s transactions and will be appropriate and adequate for the business conducted by the Company.
Banking and Company Funds
- The funds of the Company will be placed in such investments and banking accounts as will be designated by the Members. All withdrawals from these accounts will be made by the duly authorized agent or agents of the Company as appointed by unanimous consent of the Members. Company funds will be held in the name of the Company and will not be commingled with those of any other person or entity.
- Any of the Members will have the right to request an audit of the Company books. The cost of the audit will be borne by the Company. The audit will be performed by an accounting firm acceptable to all the Members. Not more than one (1) audit will be required by any or all of the Members for any fiscal year.
- This Company is intended to be treated as a corporation, for the purposes of Federal and State Income Tax.
- As soon as practicable after the close of each fiscal year, the Company will furnish to each Member an annual report showing a full and complete account of the condition of the Company including all information as will be necessary for the preparation of each Member’s income or other tax returns. This report will consist of at least:
- A copy of the Company’s federal income tax returns for that fiscal year.
- A breakdown of the profit and loss attributable to each Member.
- The goodwill of the Company will be assessed at an amount to be determined by appraisal using generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- The Members submit to the jurisdiction of the courts of the State of Washington for the enforcement of this Agreement or any arbitration award or decision arising from this Agreement.
- A Member will be free of liability to the Company where the Member is prevented from executing their obligations under this Agreement in whole or in part due to force majeure, such as earthquake, typhoon, flood, fire, and war or any other unforeseen and uncontrollable event where the Member has communicated the circumstance of the event to any and all other Members and where the Member has taken any and all appropriate action to satisfy his duties and obligations to the Company and to mitigate the effects of the event.
- No Member may do any act in contravention of this Agreement.
- No Member may permit, intentionally or unintentionally, the assignment of express, implied or apparent authority to a third party
- No Member may permit intentionally or unintentionally, the assignment of express, implied or apparent authority to a third party that is not a Member of the Company.
- No Member may do any act that would make it impossible to carry on the ordinary business of the Company.
- No Member will have the right or authority to bind or obligate the Company to any extent with regard to any matter outside the intended purpose of the Company.
- No Member may confess a judgment against the Company.
- Any violation of the above forbidden acts will be deemed an Involuntary Withdrawal and may be treated accordingly by the remaining Member.
- All Members will be indemnified and held harmless by the Company from and against any and all claims of any nature, whatsoever arising out of a Member’s participation in Company affairs. A Member will not be entitled to indemnification under this section for liability arising out of gross negligence or willful misconduct of the Member or the breach by the Member of any provisions of this Agreement.
- A Member or any employee will not be liable to the Company or to any other Member for any mistake or error in judgment or for any act or omission believed in good faith to be within the scope of authority conferred or implied by this Agreement or the Company. The Member or employee will be liable only for any and all acts and omissions involving intentional wrongdoing.
- The Company may acquire insurance on behalf of any Member, employee, agent or other person engaged in the business interest of the Company against any liability asserted against them or incurred by them while acting in good faith on behalf of the Company.
- The Company will have the right to acquire life insurance on the lives of any or all of the Members, whenever it is deemed necessary by the Company. Each Member will cooperate fully with the Company in obtaining any such policies of life insurance.
Actions Requiring Unanimous Consent
- The following actions will require the unanimous consent of all Members:
- Endangering the ownership or possession of Company property including selling, transferring or loaning any Company property or using any Company property as collateral for a loan.
- Releasing any Company claim except for payment in full.
Amendment of this Agreement
- No amendment or modification of this Agreement will be valid or effective unless in writing and signed by all Members.
Title to Company Property
- Title to all Company property will remain in the name of the Company. No Member will have any ownership interest in Company property in whole or in part.
- Time is of the essence in this Agreement
- This Agreement may be executed in counterparts.
- Headings are inserted for the convenience of the Members only and are not to be considered when interpreting this Agreement. Words in the singular mean and include the plural and vice versa. Words in the masculine gender include the feminine gender and vice versa. Words in a neutral gender include the masculine gender and the feminine gender and vice versa.
- If any term, covenant, condition or provision of this Agreement is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, void or unenforceable, it is the Members’ intent that such provision be reduced in scope by the court only to the extent deemed necessary by that court to render the provision reasonable and enforceable and the remainder of the provisions of this Agreement will in no way be affected, impaired or invalidated as a result.
- This Agreement contains the entire agreement between the Members. All negotiations and understandings have been included in this Agreement. Statements or representations that may have been made by any Member during the negotiation stages of this Agreement, may in some way be inconsistent with this final written Agreement. All such statements have no force or effect in respect to this Agreement. Only the written terms of this Agreement will bind the Members.
- This Agreement and the terms and conditions contained in this Agreement apply to and are binding upon each Member’s successors, assigns, executors, administrators, beneficiaries, and representatives.
- Any notices or delivery required here will be deemed completed when hand-delivered. delivered by agent, or seven (7) days after being placed in the post, postage prepaid to the Members at the addresses contained in this Agreement or as the Members may later designate in writing.
- All of the rights, remedies and benefits provided by this Agreement will be cumulative and will not be exclusive of any other such rights, remedies and benefits allowed by law.
- For the purpose of this Agreement, the following terms are defined as follows:
- “Additional Contribution” means Capital Contributions, other than Initial Contributions, made by Members to the Company.
- “Capital Contribution” means the total amount of cash, property, or services contributed to the Company by any one Member
- “Distributions” means a payment of Company profits to the Members.
- “Initial Contribution” means the initial Capital Contributions made by any Member to acquire an interest in the Company.
- “Member’s Interests” means the Member’s collective rights, including but not limited to, the Member’s right to share in profits, Member’s right to a share of Company assets on dissolution of the Company, Member’s voting rights, and Member’s rights to participate in the management of the Company.
- “Net Profits or Losses” means the net profits or losses of the Company as determined by generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- “Operation of Law” means rights or duties that are cast upon a party by the law, without any act or agreement on the part of the individual, including, but not limited to an assignment for the benefit of creditors, a divorce, or a bankruptcy.
- “Principal Office” means the office whether inside or outside the State of Texas where the executive or management of the Company maintain their primary office.
- “Voting Members” means the Members who belong to a membership class that has voting power. Where there is only one class of Members, then those Members constitute the Voting Members.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the Members have duly affixed their signatures under hand and seal on this _____ day of ____________________, ________.
SIGNED, SEALED, AND DELIVERED in the presence of:
Member A (Member)
SIGNED, SEALED, AND DELIVERED in the presence of:
Witness: Witness Name:
Member B (Member)
At Legal writing experts, we would be happy to assist in preparing any legal document you need. We are international lawyers and attorneys with significant experience in legal drafting, Commercial-Corporate practice and consulting. In the last few years, we have successfully undertaken similar assignments for clients from different jurisdictions. If given this opportunity, The LegalPen will be able to prepare the legal document within the shortest time possible. You can send us your quick enquiry ( here )