Report this service

Motion to Substitute Party

Service Description


A Motion to Substitute Party is a formal request made to the court, asking for one party in a legal case to be replaced by another, often due to changes in circumstance such as death or incapacity.


Before proceeding, review the court’s rules and guidelines concerning the substitution of parties. The motion must clearly explain the reasons for the requested substitution and demonstrate its relevance to the ongoing case.

How to Draft:

  • Begin with a clear statement of your request to substitute one party for another.
  • Provide specific reasons for seeking the substitution, ensuring they are valid and relevant to the case.
  • Cite any relevant legal authorities or case law that supports your position.
  • Ensure the motion adheres to the court’s specific rules regarding format and content.


Once drafted, file the motion with the court clerk, paying any required fees. Serve a copy to all involved parties as per court rules. The court will then review the motion and make a decision based on its merits.


Filing a Motion to Substitute Party is a crucial legal procedure when changes in circumstance necessitate the replacement of one party with another. By thoroughly understanding the court’s requirements, carefully crafting your request, and following the correct filing procedures, you increase your chances of having the motion granted, ultimately ensuring the smooth continuation of the legal process.