Report this service

motion to substitute counsel

Service Description

A motion to substitute counsel is a formal request made to a court to replace an attorney with a new one in a legal case. This motion is typically filed by the client or the current attorney, and it must provide a valid reason for the substitution, such as a conflict of interest, a breakdown in communication, or a difference in legal strategy.

Requirements of the motion to substitute counsel:

Here are some of the requirements you must meet:

1.     Reason for request: Some common reasons include a conflict of interest, a breakdown in communication, or a lack of confidence in your current attorney’s abilities.

2.     Written consent: Your current attorney must provide written consent to the court, agreeing to the substitution.

3.     New attorney information: You must provide the court with the name and contact information of your new attorney in the motion to substitute counsel. This allows the court to verify that your new attorney is licensed and in good standing with the state bar association.

4.     Timely Filing: You must file your motion to substitute counsel in a timely manner. The court will not grant your motion if you wait until the last minute to file it.

Guidelines for drafting the motion to substitute counsel

1.     Use proper legal format: The motion to substitute counsel should follow the proper legal format. It should include a caption that identifies the parties involved in the case, a heading that states the name of the motion, and a body that sets forth the facts and legal arguments supporting your request.

2.     Be concise and clear


3.     Explain reason for request: Be specific about the issues you have with your current attorney, and explain how a new attorney will better serve your interests.

4.     Provide supporting evidence: This may include emails or letters between you and your current attorney that demonstrate a breakdown in communication or a conflict of interest.

5.     Sign and Date: Your signature certifies that the information contained in the motion to substitute counsel is true and accurate to the best of your knowledge.

Filing the motion to substitute counsel

1.     File with the court clerk: You should file your motion to substitute counsel with the court clerk in the courthouse where your case is being heard. You must pay a filing fee, which varies by jurisdiction.

2.     Serve your current attorney

3.     Wait for court response: The court may grant your motion to substitute counsel, deny it, or set a hearing to further discuss the matter.

In conclusion, the motion to substitute counsel is a formal request to change legal representation. To draft and file this motion properly, you must adhere to specific requirements and guidelines. By following these guidelines, you can increase the likelihood that your motion will be granted by the court.



At Legal writing experts, we would be happy to assist in preparing any legal document you need. We are international lawyers and attorneys with significant experience in legal drafting, Commercial-Corporate practice and consulting. In the last few years, we have successfully undertaken similar assignments for clients from different jurisdictions. If given this opportunity, The LegalPen will be able to prepare the legal document within the shortest time possible. You can send us your quick enquiry here